24 January 2010

mountain!

Josh and I have been in New Zealand for just over a week (it seems like longer, but I know it's going to go super fast!) and we hadn't yet seen the iconic Mt Taranaki from Hawera because of the cloud cover. Sunday morning I looked out the living room window and here's what I saw:

Mountain! From our living room! That is so cool.

We stopped at the gypsy fair that came to Hawera--they even had ads up to join them--"Are you tired of the rat race? This is more than a job--it's a lifestyle!" All you need is a vehicle to live in and a skill that will add to the community. I was tempted. :) Could I sell cookies, maybe?

Then we had to go for a drive so we could look at the mountain. It was super cool. Turns out you can see it from just about everywhere--including the dam! This is the spot that Josh went dam dropping last week--he got directions from the info center in Hawera, so he brought me there on Sunday. Turns out I'm not very graceful!




These kids had been out on the dam every day last week--they were smart and wore wetsuits. While the water did take some getting used to, it was definitely warmer than Lake Superior!

I scraped my elbow! I know, I know...poor meg. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment